Asus ZenFone AR is definitely a very nice device, no doubt with that but the point is, is it worth that price? It is being sold for RM 3799 in Malaysia and that is nearly about 400 USD. From how I look at it, if you need those 2 key features that it offers – the AR (augmented reality) and VR (virtual reality), it will probably be a suitable device for you. Otherwise, you have many other options in the market for half the the price of Asus ZenFone AR.
The device comes with Android 7.0 out of the box. The 8 GB of RAM in ZenFone AR is something rare. Most of the smartphones today still come with 2-4 GB of RAM and some higher end ones are equipped with 6 GB of RAM. As for the internal storage, the ZenFone AR comes with 128 GB UFS 2.0 storage capacity and if that is not enough, you can always add a micro SD card (up to 2 TB). The only disadvantage of using a micro SD card is, you have to sacrifice the 2nd SIM slot (yes, it is a hybrid slot). Performance wise, especially in gaming, the ZenFone AR does a great job but again, for that price, I will only be surprised if it couldn’t perform.
I couldn’t test the camera thoroughly for several reasons. One is because I had limited time to fiddle with it and the environment was not suitable for me to explore the camera in-depth. However, I got to test the camera’s performance in low light condition. Again, I have nothing to complain about. The ZenFone AR’s both front (selfie) camera and rear camera could capture decent images even in low light conditions. Photos might be a little grainy but it is not bad. Overall, I could still see the details clearly. As some of you might already know, there are 3 cameras on the rear, a 23 Megapixel main camera with f/2.0 aperture, a depth sensing camera and a motion tracking camera. Those extra cameras are mainly used for AR related matters. The selfie camera is an 8 Megapixel camera with f/2.0 aperture as well.
- 5.7 inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) Super AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor with 64-bit Quad Core CPU @ 2.35 Ghz.
- Adreno 530 GPU.
- 128 GB internal storage with UFS 2.0 and 8 GB RAM.
- Rear cam – TriCam system – Motion tracking camera + depth sensing camera with IR + 23 MP PixelMaster camera (Sony XIM 318 sensor), f/2.0 aperture with OIS & EIS. Dual-LED real tone flash. Supports RAW file and can record 4K videos.
- Front cam – 8 MP PixelMaster camera with f/2.0 aperture and 85 degree wide viewing angle.
- 3300 mAh battery with QuickCharge 3.0 technology.
- Dual SIM slots, hybrid – SIM 1 (micro SIM) & SIM 2 ( Nano SIM or Micro SD card up to 2 TB).
- OS – Android Nougat.
- Price RM 3799.
- Freebies – Google Cardboard, screen protector, silicon case.
- Availability – 7th July onwards, at Lazada and Asus retailers.